Saturday, February 18, 2012

Homemade French Fries

This is another Pioneer Woman inspired recipe. Her Perfect French Fries recipe is just that, perfect. I will never ever buy frozen fries again! Just pop on over to her website for the full breakdown of the recipe. She explains it very well. I just want to share my lovely photos in this post.

I used two potatoes and it yields more than enough fries to feed my family of three. As a general rule though, one potato per person. One of my persons is a 2 year old though, and she doesn't eat much.

Slice them this way...

...and then slice them that way.

 Toss them into a pot of water for at least an hour, but the longer the better. This pulls the starch out of the potatoes for better frying.

Then dry the fries on some paper towels. Moisture and hot oil don't mix well...

Toss them into your fryer in small batches at 300 degrees for 2-3 minutes (You're going to fry them twice, so don't worry about them browning this time). You never want to crowd your oil. If you don't have a deep fryer, then you can use a pot on your stove and an oil thermometer. 

Here's the first batch at the first fry on fresh paper towels, soaking up the oil. Continue on frying until you've done all your fries.

Then you're gonna toss them back into the fryer at a higher temperature of 375 until desired crispness. My husband likes them crispy so I leave them in for about 3-4 minutes.

Then salt them. I used Kosher salt. And you're ready to eat them!

Several fries didn't make it to this plate... RIP French Fries...

I can guarantee that they taste even better than they look.


And here's my husband's steaks as an honorary mention. Bravo dear, for grilling the steaks.

Shh..... they're sleeping...

Needless to say... dinner was very good tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment